Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4hdd 4L60E - death rattle?

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
So recently I was bored and wanted to do a little engine braking in my VR - now I know this is bad and cooks your trans fluid, but I figured only doing it once or twice wouldnt hurt. A few days after this I noticed a slight rattle coming from under my car when idling in drive with the brakes on, coming from the rear part of my transmission. Now after a quick inspection I found my trans fluid level to be sitting aqt the very bottom of the hatched area on the dipstick. Now the trans fluid was fully flushed around 18 months ago, but since then the car has only been driven an average oif 20km a week.

After pouring around 750ml of DExtron 3 in, the shifting has noticably improved, but I still occasionally hear the same rattle.

Could this be because of the cars limited use (I know automatics tend to slip if not driven often), because it was low on fluid or perhaps because I did serious damage in the 20(ish) metres of engine braking i tried? All of the above, even?

Does the trans need a rebuild, or perhaps a flush? Or should I just let it go untill its next service, but keep an eye on trans fluid levels?

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
i wouldn't think that little bit or braking caused it. hell, in some car manuals they recommend it! I'd say the rattle is unrelated to the braking you did, though it could have cause something that was about to fail to fail quicker.
Sorry i'm not any more help than that, other than to put your mind at ease that you didn't really cause it!

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
i had a rattling noise coming from my lexcen i had, around from where the box mounts to the engine, the car started to stall and found out later that the flex plate was shattered

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Its probably just part of the exhaust system that's rattling - try putting it on ramps and get underneath when its rattling. If the trans fluid is still bright red then I wouldn't worry.....just wait till next service.

vr94s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Executive S2
well don't do what i did. i continued to drive the car untill finally the transmission completely **** itself. barely drove 15kmph and struggled every metre to the transmission mechanic i took it to. cost me a bunch because i took one single part and replaced the complete transmission. now it runs like new and i can't really complain. don't spent the money on a virtually new transmission. convert it to manual or sumthing? upto you but your up for a thrashing of your money either way. don't leave it because it will eventually die and my guess is not when you want it to.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
I'm sure after 4 years, he's figured out the problem mate. :p
Yep, It was all good, I put another 30+ thousand kms on that car and sent it off to the scrap metal dealer about 3 years ago.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Lol why is it always the newbies that do the epic thread digs haha

I too have a slight rattle from the trans pan area on my VR....never really thought much of it, fluid looks ok and trans shifts ok.....when it goes bang it goes bang but done 11,000km on it since I bought the car now with no issues so who knows.